Friday, January 13, 2017

winter salad with citrus poppyseed vinaigrette




Never in my life can I remember January 12th equaling 70 degrees.  Not in any way, shape or form.

But January 2017 in Nashville has beat all odds.  Ugh.

I honestly cannot even believe this weather.  While many might be thrilled, I am not at all happy with having to remove my light sweater while walking Hoosier at 9:00 AT NIGHT!

Double, "Ugh!"

This snow-loving girl is going to be really disappointed if the semi-snow we got last weekend is all that's coming.  Surely not?!?  But with 60-70 degree days in the ten-day forecast, I can't say I'm too terribly hopeful.

Dearest Winter... Please come back.

I will act like it's the season it's supposed to be and share my newest, and John's favorite, salad.  I had put together a lunch for my dearest friends and coworkers as my Christmas gift to them a few weeks back, and I was trying to think of something to freshen up the menu.  It included this beef stew, Ma's cornbread, and a spice cake.  I knew I wanted color and I knew I wanted citrus.  So, I started thinking about some things I enjoy and put it all together to make this salad.  I've made it two more times since.  John is crazy about it.

This is so incredibly easy and just as pretty in a big 'ol punch bowl on the table.  The goat cheese crumbles paired with the bright dressing is a winner.  If you wanted to, you could add some grilled chicken - or better yet - salmon, and it would be a delicious meal all by itself.

So until Mother Nature decides to right her wrong, I'll make this salad, put on a tank top, turn down the thermostat and get my Winter on in one way or another.

Winter Salad with Citrus Poppyseed Vinaigrette 


For the Salad
  • mixed salad greens
  • mandarin oranges, drained
  • pomegranate seeds
  • goat cheese crumbles
  • Craisins 
  • toasted walnuts
For the Dressing
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp diced onion
  • 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • zest of half an orange
  • 1 tbsp poppyseed
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
1. Layer all salad ingredients in large bowl.

2. Place juices, sugar, onion, mustard and salt in blender and mix.  Add oil in steady stream to emulsify.  Stir in zest and poppyseed.

3. Dress salad right before serving.

Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!