Monday, October 31, 2016

flavorFALL ~ toffee apple dip




I grew up just loving Halloween.  Dad and I used to have so much fun on this day, each and every year, that I could not wait to get out of school and get home to put on my costume.  We would walk the neighborhood for hours.  Families were everywhere you turned, sitting in their front lawns, walking up and down streets, having parties.  It was fun and sweet.  I didn't understand at the time that part of what I really enjoyed about it was community.  Now I get it.  Now I can see that experiencing community in one's own neighborhood, these days, can kind of be hard to come by.  So, if you have it, be thankful.

We are in such a neighborhood.  The sidewalks are crawling, some families design makeshift haunted houses, many come to their doors to hand out candy in their own costumes, and little ones and big ones, alike, are sprinkled throughout as Star Wars characters, Disney princesses, and everything in between.  In a moment in America when so many seem to be at odds, I'm looking forward to an evening with others, an evening to have fun, a little slice of Americana, you could say.

We are planning to eat and hang with friends, as our kiddos come and go from house to house.  If you're doing the same, you may want to add this super-quick and easy sweet treat.  I am in LOVE with it.  It's a great blend of tang and sweet.  Buttery, creamy, crunchy.  And paired with a slice of Granny Smith apple, it immediately takes me back to a Halloween party at my elementary friend, Gretchen's, house in fourth grade.  This side says, "Haunted housing," "Apple bobbing," and "Trick of Treating," like nobody's business.  Grab the ingredients and enjoy in a few minutes time.  Everyone will be so glad you did!

*You might also want to try other flavorFALL recipes like perfect gingersnaps, or fresh apple cake with browned butter frosting.

Toffee Apple Dip

makes about three cups 

  • 2 blocks cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 8-oz container Cool Whip, thawed
  • 1 bag Bits o' Brickle
1. Beat cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.

2. Add vanilla and Cool Whip, mixing until incorporated. 

3. Stir in brickle and serve with assorted fruit.

Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!