Tuesday, January 26, 2016

quickest draw in the south ~ lazy daisy nachos




Snow, beautiful snow... It came in early Friday morning, and it fell and fell and fell.  It was gorgeous. It was peaceful.  It caused the city to stop, for just a moment, and breathe.  What a blessing it was, and as a dear friend said, a wonderful reminder that God is in control.

When both parents and their children work and/or attend the same school, snow days are the best. For four days, we have all been together in our home.  We played a LOT, and we ate even more! With a heads up that this weather was heading in, John called me at work the night before it hit to tell me he and the boys had made a grocery store run.  In his words, we were "locked and loaded."  And we were.  Our junk food cabinet was full, but he also grabbed a few things he knew I would want and need to make big breakfasts and real dinners.  You know... the ones that take a little longer than usual. It was wonderful while it lasted, but reality hits tonight, and I thought I'd share my answer for said reality.

This meal is probably all of my "boys'" favorite.  It's one of my favorites, too, because:

A) I know they love it,
B) it takes NO time to prep, and
C) it requires very, very little cleanup.

It's the card I pull every time I'm in a bind, and I'm serious when I say the family erupts with applause when I announce it's what's for dinner.

I really never thought about posting it until it came up in a conversation with a friend.  When I told her what I do, she enthusiastically responded with a, "Wow.  I never thought to do that.  I'm doing it tonight!"  So, I thought, "Wow.  Maybe I should put this on the blog."  So, here it is.

As a tip, I might encourage you to keep freezer bags of seasoned meat, in one-pound servings, on hand for these kinds of nights.  Sometimes I'll cook in peppers and onions with it before freezing.  I am here to say, it doesn't get any easier!  When the meal has finished cooking (about 10 minutes), put the pan in the middle of the table and serve straight from it.  Such a fun and fast way to enjoy dinner with your family!

Lazy Daisy Nachos

1.  Heat oven to 400 degrees.

2.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

3.  Spread nacho chips (these are our favorite) on pan evenly.

4.  Distribute one pound of seasoned meat - chicken or ground beef is our usual - over chips.  You may want to use my favorite taco seasoning.

5.  Layer any items you prefer cooked on top... corn, beans, etc.  If you prefer nothing else, go ahead and spread shredded cheese of choice.  We typically use a fiesta blend.

6.  Watch carefully for cheese to melt and remove from oven, about ten minutes.

7.  Top with what your family loves.  We enjoy sour cream, salsa, jarred jalapenos, cilantro, and chopped avocado, if we have some.

8.  If you have a picky one like I do, adjust nachos as needed.  I always keep a corner free of meat and use just cheese.  One pan.  Suits everyone.  Wad up the mess, and kitchen is cleaned.

Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!