Thursday, January 7, 2016

dark chocolate chocolate cake



He's my roller coaster partner, my Max Lucado reading partner, my I-can't-watch-What-About-Bob-too-many-times partner, and my lover-of-all-things-chocolate partner… And he happens to be my dad.  He has taught me so very many things over the years, especially, by example.  One of them, thankfully, is to eat anything and everything chocolate - dark chocolate at that.  I love that guy.

I've told you before that our tradition is for me to bake a different chocolate cake every year for his birthday.  It falls during the week of Christmas, and we usually celebrate the first night we get into town for the holiday.  I always look so forward to it!

This year, it was particularly special, because Dad turned 60.  So, I searched and searched for a perfect confection to bake and also bought him a Wii and Wii Sports, so he could exercise it off.

I know.  It's just the way we roll.

As soon as I saw the name of this cake, I knew it was the one.  It wasn't just, Chocolate Cake.  Not even Dark Chocolate Cake.  It was, Dark Chocolate Chocolate Cake.  I mean, come on.  Anything with two chocolates in the title has to be right up Dad's alley.

And it was.

Rich, deep, chocolate buttercream that covers and fills even richer, incredibly moist chocolate cake layers.


I thought it really turned out pretty, and it tasted as good as I had hoped. Dad said it was the best one yet, which was all that mattered.


I am not a cake decorator, as you can well see, although I would LOVE to take a class!  But if you're interested in doing something similar, you can find the Wilton Edge Decorating Triangle here. Make sure to apply plenty of icing on the side, so the edger has enough to glide through but leaves enough to eat.

For the icing "kisses" along the top and bottom of the cake, I used a #1A decorator tip, like this one. Just fill the icing bag, twist close, and squeeze to form the size you want, pulling back and releasing the squeeze at the same time.  This icing is really easy to work with, so you won't have any trouble.

If you have a chocolate lover in your family, you will win their entire heart with this one.  I hope you'll let me know if you try it and how it worked.  Happy Baking!

Oh… silly me.

And eating!

Dark Chocolate Chocolate Cake

For the Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened, dark cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted

For the Buttercream

8 oz bittersweet chocolate
8 oz heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
3 1/3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened, dark cocoa powder
2 tbsp meringue powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

For the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray the bottoms of two 9-inch round cake pans, or three 8-inch round cake pans, with cooking spray.

2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the dry ingredients.  Add the remaining wet ingredients and beat on medium speed for two minutes.  Divide the batter evenly between pans.

3. Bake for 27-30 minutes, until the center springs back when pressed and toothpick comes out clean. Set the pans on wire racks, cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel and cool completely.

For the Buttercream
1, Finely chop the bittersweet chocolate in a bowl.  Warm the cream over medium-low heat, just until it simmers.  Pour the warm cream over the bowl and let stand for 3 minutes.  Stir until smooth.  Cover and let cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours, but preferably 4-5 hours.

2.  Scrape the ganache into the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment and beat with the butter for several minutes until smooth.  With the mixer on low, add the powdered sugar, cocoa, meringue powder and salt, mixing until combined.  Add the vanilla and whip on high until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.

Recipe from Curly Girl Kitchen.


    




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!