Wednesday, February 26, 2014

homemade enchilada sauce




Nine times out of ten, I am usually thankful when I've planned to prepare a really great dish and get home from gathering all the necessary ingredients from the store, only to realize I've forgotten one.  

Well, actually, first I'm mad.  

But then I am thankful, because more times than not, I am able to scrounge enough things together to make the missing ingredient from scratch, and it's way better than store-bought. So goes this enchilada sauce.

I wish I could have gotten pictures of the casserole calling for the sauce, but it went so fast I wasn't able to save even a piece to snap a shot the next day.  Chicken Tamale Casserole will be prepared again soon, I can assure you, and I will make sure to share the recipe.  

I highly recommend pulling this together, doubling the batch, and keeping it on hand for your favorite Mexican meals.  I can't believe the flavor difference in this and the store brands, and it is such a quick fix.  "Muy" yummy!

Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 4 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/3 tsp oregano
  • 2 cups chicken broth
~ Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.  

~ Add flour and stir together over the heat for one minute.  

~ Stir in the remaining seasonings.  

~ Gradually add in the broth, whisking constantly to remove lumps.  

~ Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick.

Recipe from Gimme Some Oven.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!