Monday, November 4, 2013

black bottom pumpkin pie





Trivia question of the day:  What do you get when you cross a blogger with a downed server?

Answer:  Nothing.

I had two posts ready for you that I was so excited to share last week, but I couldn't because of multiple days of internet difficulties.  I will make up for it this week.  Promise.

Now that it is officially past Halloween, my mind is on all things Thanksgiving.  It's my favorite holiday.  The colors are warm.  Everyone is eagerly planning get-togethers and readying for the Christmas season.  And food is at the center of it all.  

I am usually not a big fan of messing with really wonderful holiday food traditions.  And I definitely think the stars of the Thanksgiving table have remained that way for a reason.  The stuffing, creamed corn, mashed potatoes...  They don't need a lot of adjusting.  And it's not like I went out looking to alter the pumpkin pie either.  But - oh, my.  I am glad I messed with this one. 

Requiring a bit of a process, indeed, the Black Bottom Pumpkin Pie - to me - is worth every single step.  I do believe I could have sat with a spoon and eaten just the maple whipped cream and been totally satisfied.  Let's not even talk about the fabulous crust made of cinnamon graham crackers and gingersnaps (genius), the bottom chocolate layer, the caramel toffee layer, and - of course - the many-spice goodness so many of us dearly love in pumpkin pie.  

For your upcoming holiday spread, this recipe is stunning (my picture does NOT do it justice), and completely over-the-top.  Just what the guests, soon to be around your table, have ordered!

my favorite way to make pumpkin pie
one year ago: butternut squash soup

Black Bottom Pumpkin Pie
makes one 10-inch pie
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup cinnamon graham crackers
  • 1 cup crushed gingersnaps
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
  • 2 cups whipping cream, divided
  • 2 (1.4 oz) chocolate-covered toffee candy bars, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8-10 
    minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.  Cool 10 minutes.

~ Stir together graham cracker crumbs, next 2 ingredients, and toasted pecans until
    blended.  Press crumb mixture on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a lightly greased
    10-inch pie plate (being in temp housing, I did not bring this pan with me, so I had to 
    opt for a tin one to get me by).

~ Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Transfer to a wire rack,
    and cool completely (about 30 minutes)

~ Microwave 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels and 1/2 cup whipping cream in a small
    microwavable bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring at 30-second intervals.
  
~ Spoon chocolate mixture over bottom of pie crust; sprinkle candy bars over chocolate
    mixture.  Cover and chill 1 hour or until chocolate mixture is set.

~ Meanwhile, whisk together sugar and flour in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan; add eggs, egg
    yolks, and milk, and whisk until blended.  Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly,
    8-10 minutes or until a pudding-like thickness (this is very important to follow
    exactly!).  Mixture will begin to bubble and will hold soft peaks when whisk is lifted.

~ Remove from heat, and whisk in pumpkin, salt, spices, and vanilla.  Transfer to a bowl.

~ Place heavy-duty plastic wrap directly on warm filling to prevent a film from forming; 
    chill 30 minutes.

~ Spoon pumpkin mixture over chocolate; cover and chill 8 to 24 hours or until filling is
    firm.

~ Beat remaining 1 1/2 cups cream at high sped with an electric mixer until foamy; 
    gradually add syrup, beating until soft peaks form.  Spread over pie.

Recipe from Southern Living.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!