Tuesday, August 20, 2013

snickerdoodles




Well, the house has all but sold, and to be quite honest... I'm getting a little sad.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm excited too.  We've dubbed the next week and a few days (plus however long it takes to find a new house) "The Green Family Adventure, 2013."  We have to be out by next Friday, but we don't have a final place to go.  Only a pool house of a good friend.  

I know.  Poor us. 

Seriously... we are truly blessed to have a place to lay our heads and take the time to pray and search for exactly where God wants us.  

I do love my kitchen, though.  The really cool thing about buying an old house like we did this one ten years ago, is coming in and making it just the way you like it.  I'm soaking up each moment I have left here, because it works beautifully for me.  Honestly, after finding out last Friday night the contract was going to go through, and knowing we had to be out in exactly two weeks without a single box packed, I really didn't dream I'd take a moment to cook a thing.  But by Sunday night I was needing to smell something cozy and comforting cooking.  And I knew the boys would enjoy the same.  

These Snickerdoodles hit the spot and filled the house with the warmest aroma.  No joke, friends.  It's like there's a hug in every one.  The cream of tartar gives a slight tang, and the shortening (I know... forgive me) provides a wonderfully tender crumb.   They puff up perfectly, too.  

I appreciate your patience with my less-than-frequent posts until we get out and back in to a place.  I'm already making my list of kitchen musts that have to stay with me in our temporary holding spot.  I'm looking forward to sharing some crockpot features, too, as I try to ease up on the time spent preparing due to the unusually busy start-of-school/football/and-now-we're-moving-on-top-of-it schedule.

So, here's to a stack of "Snickers" and a glass of milk.  Comfort doesn't come any better!

one year ago: friday night pizzapeanut butter bacon butterscotch cookies

Snickerdoodles
makes 36 cookies
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar 
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. white sugar
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
~ Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

~ Cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Stir in eggs.

~ In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt.  Stir into wet 
    mixture until fully incorporated.

~ Mix together remaining 2 tbsp. sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.

~ Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.

~ Place on ungreased pan, two inches apart, and cook for 8-10 or until edges are set and
    cookies are slightly golden. 

~ Remove and cool on wire racks.

Recipe from All Recipes, Easy Everyday Favorites.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!