Monday, July 29, 2013

mom's summer salsa



I have to say that looking at this recipe initially, I was slightly apprehensive.  I've tried fruit salsas, but more of the mango or peach varieties.  I couldn't quite wrap my head around watermelon.  But then I took the plunge, and I am so glad I did.  This has got to be the most beautiful dish I've made!  And the flavors were magnificent, to say the least.  

I urge you to make this in the very near future while watermelons are perfectly ripe and mint, cilantro, and basil are in abundance.  The colors play off each other beautifully.  The crisp veggies and spicy hits of the jalapeƱos couldn't be better.  And if salty/sweet is your thing, this needs to be your next starter!  Scoop up!


Mom's Summer Salsa
makes 8 1/2 cups

  • 4 cups seedless watermelon, diced
  • 2 cups sweet peppers (I used yellow, orange, and red), diced
  • 1/2 cup red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup carrots, peedled and diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 2 jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and diced
  • 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. oil
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
~ Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!