Monday, July 22, 2013

cooking light, cooking right - key lime pie ice cream



This was my first love...


This one runs a close second.  



Meet my indoor ice cream maker.  

The Cusinart Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt Maker.  You keep the bowl in the freezer at all times, and it's always at the ready when you're in the mood for a frozen treat.  I actually got this around my birthday using a gift card my kind co-workers gave me from Bed, Bath & Beyond. I have had my sights set on this beauty for a while, and let me just tell you, it has not let me down!

I shared with you in my Frosty post that I started my addiction to ice cream at a very young age. My grandmother only reinforced it every time we'd go to an ice cream shop, and her tiny 4-foot, 11-inch self would ask a server for "the biggest ice cream cone you've got."  I should also tell you, she was not afraid to send it back for more if it didn't meet her expectations.  

I acquired my love for the frozen dessert honestly.

I came across this recipe a couple of years ago looking for something a bit different.  John loves Key Lime Pie anything, so I was eager to give this a go.  It's such a treat with its definite tang balanced nicely by the creaminess of the milk and crunch of the graham crackers.  And with this whiz of an ice cream maker, you can have it in no time flat.  That's actually the only downfall to the machine.  It's so perfect in every way, I'm using it way too much.  No going to a local shop and ordering the biggest cone they've got for me.  No siree...  I'll settle for 1.5 quarts in the comfort of my home and p.j.'s, thank you!  























One year ago: Co-Cola Cake(Not just any) Chicken Salad

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
makes 1.5 quarts
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup bottled Key lime juice (I use Nellie and Joe's; you can find it in the juice drinks aisle)
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 (14-oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
  • 12 graham crackers (3 cookie sheets), coarsely crushed, divided
~ In a mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients, minus the crackers, whisking constantly.

~ Pour into ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer directions.

~ Stir graham crackers into ice cream, keeping back some for garnish.

~ Spoon ice cream into freezer-safe container and freeze one hour or until desired firmness 
    is reached.

Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light - July 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!