Friday, June 7, 2013

on the side - grilled romaine lettuce




Last summer our stove went out, and I shared several grill recipes as a result.  If you've read any of those posts, you know we believe a little char and smoke makes most everything better. 

Even lettuce.

I'm sure some of you are questioning such a method, but I am here to tell you it's wonderful.  If you like lettuce, and you appreciate smoky overtones, you will really enjoy this.  Plus it's a fun and tasty way to get your greens; no pre-chopping required.  

On another note, I'm dying to get our fridge (and dishwasher and washing machine).  Only one more day; it's being delivered tomorrow.  I'm feeling slightly "pioneer-ish" having to fetch my ice and other things from the shed, but a longtime Laura Ingalls wannabe, I would have never made it.  As much as I want to think I would have loved to have lived back then, I'm nearly positive I would have failed miserably in Half Pint's eyes.  I'm hoping this minor setback will re-remind me to be thankful for those little daily blessings that - in all reality - are huge.  

Enjoy God's love this weekend!



Grilled Romaine Lettuce - serves 2 to 4
Ingredients:
~ Heat grill to medium.
~ Wash and dry lettuce; slice in half, length-wise.
~ Drizzle oil over cut sides of lettuce.
~ Lay lettuce halves, cut side down, on grill grates.  Char to desired doneness, or 2-3 
    minutes.
~ Turn lettuce over and grill 1-2 minutes longer.
~ Remove lettuce from grill, sprinkle with salt, and serve with dressing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!