Wednesday, May 15, 2013

wednesday wisdom - apple (preservation) juice




Dearest Readers... I realize I could be equally positive or negative in my reflection of the fact that it's been over a week since I've posted.  In my truest form, I'm an optimist, and that side of me wants to say to you, "Wow!  It's been months since I've gone over a week without a post!"  

But the pessimist perspective?  It's a totally different deal.  "I am a poor and wretched blogger to allow so many days to pass with no post" is more of what comes to mind.  I could provide you many great reasons for my absence, but you know what I say?  Excuses are like elbows.  We all have them.  Why talk about them?

So I'll move on to one of the best tips I've recently run across regarding the preservation of freshness and color in cut apples.  I read about this a while back and wondered about its outcome.  I decided to give it a try on a five pound bag of apples I sliced and added to a large fruit tray for a recent event.  I cut them at 5:45 AM and had a handful left at 4:00 PM.  They were only the tiniest bit "yellowed," if that, and still were crispy as could be.  

I encourage you to use today's Wednesday Wisdom tidbit to prolong your apples' appearance and life.  It's a great tip to put to use for this versatile fruit included in anything from lunch boxes to major platter displays.

Happy Soaking!

Apple (Preservation) Juice

  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice (fresh preferred, but bottled will work)  for every one cup of cold water
~ Soak sliced apples in lemon/water mixture for 3-5 minutes.
~ Remove from mixture, dry, and use as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!