Tuesday, April 23, 2013

lazy daisy's pica de gallo




There are recipes like this one that I just adore... not only because they are so full of flavor, but because it's a little like bringing all of the wonderful aspects of outside... well... in.  

I'm crazy about this time of year.  I know.  I say that about all the seasons.  But I really am. Everywhere I look, the green is greener, buds are opening, soil is being turned over after a long winter's nap... there's just hope for something new and fresh.  Everywhere.

I'm not sure there's a better herb that brings home the idea of "fresh" better than Cilantro.  A part of the Parsley family, I might have to say it's close to my favorite, if not the one.  It's clean and earthy.  It's highlighted beautifully in this appetizer.  

As with many of my recipes, there's not a thing fancy about this one.  I love it because it doesn't take much effort.  You do some chopping, some juicing, mix it all together and let it do its thing. 

These measurements are exactly the way we like it every time, but as I've said so many times before, it's versatile.  Add or take away to your liking.  

If you have a get-together coming soon... especially a cook-out or outdoor event... get the party started with a bowl full of Lazy Daisy's Pica de Gallo served up with a side of chips.  Expect no leftovers.

Lazy Daisy's Pica de Gallo - makes 2 1/2 cups
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound fresh tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 medium to large sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 2 jalapeƱo peppers, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
  • juice of one medium lime
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
~ Mix all ingredients together and chill 30 minutes.  Serve with tortilla chips.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!