Wednesday, April 3, 2013

apple almond chocolate chip cookies (no sugar added)




I have a confession to make.  I like All-Bran.

I know.  It's crazy.  When I was a kid, no lie, I was totally okay eating it for breakfast.  To tell you the truth, I kind of craved it.  That doesn't mean I didn't want all the other fun cereals.  In fact, my absolute favorite growing up was Golden Grahams.  Man, I loved that stuff!  But All-Bran was in my bowl many-a-mornings, and it was just fine with me.

I guess because of that, I'm also good with really hearty all-wheat breads, whole wheat pastas, and these "cookies."  This recipe is a result of noticing some dried apples in the pantry needing to be used, that made me think about caramel dipped apples at the fair, which took me to thoughts about the fancier versions found in specialty chocolate and candy stores, which made me think of my favorite dipped apple combo, chocolate dipped apples rolled in nuts.  And that, my friends, is exactly how this brain works most of the time - full speed ahead with a little free association thrown in.  

Thankfully, it turned out (this time) in a decent recipe.

I do want to stress that these treats have no added sugar, but just enough sweetness in the chocolate to satisfy, and they're absolutely perfect with a cup of coffee.  I haven't tried it yet, but I think these could be frozen and heated right before serving.  

Another grab-and-go option for the morning.  Love it!


Apple Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies -
makes about 18 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter at room temperature
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 2 cups (12 oz. bag) dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup dried apples, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and chopped
~ Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
~ Cream butter and vanilla until fluffy.
~ Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
~ In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, soda, and salt.  
~ Slowly add flour mixture to butter and vanilla while mixer is running.
~ Stir in oats, chips, apples and almonds until fully incorporated.
~ Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop dough into cup and place on baking sheet 2 inches 
    apart.  My batter came out with a little tapping on the back of the scoop.
~ Bake for 14-16 minutes until cooked through.  
~ Store in airtight container for several days or freeze immediately.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!