Wednesday, March 6, 2013

homemade "cream of whatever" soup




I mentioned in my Chicken Pot Pie post that I would share the recipe for homemade "cream ofs..."  Today is the day, and this couldn't be easier!  It's one of those recipes that is great to take advantage of on a free Saturday or Sunday afternoon to freeze for later use.  

I don't know about you, but reading the back of the Campbell's labels can make me question a few things.  When I can't pronounce the majority of ingredients in the list, I do have to wonder how good it is for consumption.  Please don't misunderstand me... I've used them my fair share. They're so convenient!  But we don't eat many dishes that call for cream ofs on a regular basis, mainly because of what I just said about the ingredients.  Now that I have this great recipe base, things will change.  In fact, I made what's pictured here to add to my Poppy Seed Chicken prepared for a recent gathering.  I'll be sure to share that one soon! 

The website I found for this had a wonderful table with all kinds of dietary variations... gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan... you name it!  What a great resource!  And depending on the flavor of soup needed, it's just a matter of swapping out 1/2 cup of the main ingredient and you have your Cream of Whatever in no time flat!  

Enjoy the ease and satisfaction of knowing you're using the best of ingredients to feed your family.  The flavor can't be beat!



Homemade Cream of Whatever - 
makes the equivalent of one "can"
Ingredients:
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup main ingredient, diced (I used cooked chicken here)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup broth
~ Saute' garlic, onion, and main ingredient (celery, chicken, onion, etc.) until softened.  Set
    aside.
~ Melt butter in pan and whisk in flour.
~ Add milk and broth, bringing to a boil.  
~ Add sautéed ingredients, lower temperature, and cook until desired consistency is 
   reached, stirring regularly (about 10-15 minutes).
~ Refrigerate for up to four days.

Recipe from Once a Month Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!