Friday, March 15, 2013

corn pudding



I've been eyeing a couple of cookbooks on Amazon (like this one) highlighting journal entries of Lewis and Clark throughout their expedition. For whatever reason, I'm drawn to the wonder of what early nineteenth century frontier cooking was like. 

Back in the fall, I mentioned here about our trip covering part of the trail.  Maybe that's why I am intrigued.  I just know the amount of time, ingenuity, and true "from-scratch" nature of the meals from that time period is fascinating to me.

Some form of this dish probably dates just as far back and would have been a staple on many a table.  Its creamy and just-enough-sweet version is one of my favorites.  I love it as a side to a meat and veggie, but a scoop of this one is especially good in a bowl of chili.  

With all this talk of Colonial culture and mention of chili, I suppose this entry would have been more suited for posting going into November rather than mid-March. But hear me friends when I say I am THANKFUL for food every day of the year. And when corn pudding is as good as this, there's no need to be a respecter of seasons.  This one is a year-round treasure!

Corn Pudding - makes one 2-quart casserole
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup fresh corn (with knife, cut half-way through kernels, scraping the rest of the corn and milk from the husk with edge of spoon), or 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can cream-style corn
  • 2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
  • 5 tbsp. sugar
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
~ Mix all ingredients together.  Mixture will be very thick.
~ Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole dish.  
~ Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until top of corn mixture begins 
    to turn a golden brown.   


Recipe adapted from Santa Claus Museum Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!