Saturday, December 15, 2012

SOUPer saturdays - ham and cheese chowder




I'm not sure there are any words I can gather today in light of the tragedy that's taken place in Connecticut. I've struggled all day with going about my list of "to-dos," knowing so many are in unimaginable pain.  All I find I want to do is spend these moments in our home, with my sweet boys and husband, and thank God for every minute He blesses me.  So many around us need comfort... hope...  Thank you, Jesus, for always, always providing it, even though we sometimes cannot find ways to understand.

I hope you will find time to comfort and be comforted this weekend.  This recipe can get you off to a great start.  Add in your loved ones, and all is complete.

Ham and Cheese Chowder - makes 10-12 servings
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups water
  • 4 medium potatoes, pared and diced
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 cup carrots, pared and sliced
  • 1 1/4 cups onions, diced
  • 2 tsp. salt (plus more to taste, if desired)
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 quart milk
  • 4 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
  • 2 cups ham, cooked and cubed
  • pepper sauce to taste (optional)
  • rosemary sprigs for garnish (optional)
~ Add potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, and salt and pepper to boiling water.  Cover and 
   simmer 10 minute or until tender.
~ Melt butter in large saucepan or pot; blend in flour.  
~ Gradually stir in milk and cook over medium heat until mixture boils.  Stir constantly!
~ Add cheese and stir until melted.  
~ Add undrained vegetables and ham, heating thoroughly, then add pepper sauce.

Recipe slightly adapted from Gooseberry Patch, Coming Home for Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!