Tuesday, November 6, 2012

pumpkin pancakes





I would venture to say that out of all the meal options my boys can choose from, they request breakfast more than any.  And if Pumpkin Pancakes are on the menu, then lit up eyes and wide smiles are a given.  I've tried several different recipes, but this one yields the lightest, most tender results.  Toasted pecans or walnuts are wonderful stirred into this batter, and cinnamon butter takes it over the top, no doubt!  But a busy morning when preparing these, and an empty pecan tin, didn't allow for either of those things to happen for the featured pictures... maybe next time.

I tend to get pumpkin happy this time of year, as I shared a couple of posts ago.  I also promised in that post that I would try to interject other things in between pumpkin highlights this season.  But I do know I have at least one more pumpkin recipe that has to be shared sooner than later.  It's a fun account of close friends, great food, and good times, with dessert being the star of the show.  Such is always the case when these particular friends are invited to the house.  Have I piqued your interest at all?  Check back later this week to find out how one of my favorite methods of cooking with some of my favorite people turned into one of the tastiest experiments this side of Nashville!


Pumpkin Pancakes - 
makes twelve large cakes (or a bunch of small ones)
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups flour (I use 2 cups all-purpose and 1 cup white-wheat)
  • 3 tbsp. white sugar
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg and cloves
~ Grease and heat griddle or skillet.
~ In a large bowl, mix together first 5 ingredients (flour through salt) with whisk.
~ In medium bowl, mix together next four ingredients (buttermilk through butter).
~ Add wet mixture to dry, along with spice, stirring until just combined (DO NOT OVER 
    MIX). 
~ Check for proper heat by splashing drops of water on the griddle/skillet.  If they dance, 
    it's ready.
~ Poor batter to desired size, allowing the batter to sit until bubbles form and sides of 
    pancakes appear slightly dry.  Flip. 
~ Serve immediately, or keep warm in 200 degree oven until ready to serve.

Recipe adapted from All Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!