Wednesday, November 21, 2012

amish cinnamon rolls






Weeks ago, I told you I'd share with you what I do with the other half of my Amish Sandwich Bread recipe when I choose to only make one loaf.  Today is the day.

I have always wanted to perfect a homemade cinnamon roll recipe.  We eat them more times than not on Sunday mornings and have forever.  It's kind of like a tradition, I guess you'd say.  But, to be perfectly transparent, I would not say this recipe is perfected.  Not because it doesn't produce soft, yeasty, cinnamon and sugar buttery deliciousness, but because my boys are big fans of Pillsbury.

How do you like that?

Actually, it's more Luke than Daniel.  Luke's a creature of habit, and we began this habit years ago with popping open a can of orange and a can of traditional cinnamon every Sunday. 

But these, my friends, are not Pillsbury.

One tip I'd pass along is to not cram your pan with the rolls after cutting them.  As they rise, it forces them to go up rather than out, and as a result, they do tend to be really thick... not that I mind thick when it comes to bread.  It just makes it tough to balance out a good amount of icing for them.  

I usually stick to a basic butter, confectioners sugar, and milk icing...  one that just pours on.  I have given measurements of what I start out using, but I always alter it until it passes the taste test. 

Isn't that the most important one???

I'm sure many of you are having guests in for the holiday.  Cook up a couple of pans of these for breakfast, and rock stardom is guaranteed...   That is, unless Luke is staying with you.  

Ah, well... can't win them all.
   
    

Amish Cinnamon Rolls - 
makes aapproximately 16 rolls
Ingredients: 

For the rolls
For the icing
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • milk
~ Follow directions for Amish Sandwich Bread through the first rise.  
~ After punching down dough and kneading, take half of dough and roll out into rectangle
    as pictured.   

 

~ Spread the melted butter over the dough with a pastry brush, leaving about an inch 
    around the edge.
~ Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon, and spread generously over buttered surface.  
    Press mixture lightly into dough. 
~ Starting with the long side away from you, tightly roll the dough towards you.
~ Once rolled, use a sharp serrated knife to slice log into rolls.  If your dough is too soft, 
    you can pop in the fridge for a few minutes to harden.  
~ To ensure uniform thickness, I start in the middle of the log and slice.  I then find the 
    middle of each of the two logs I cut, and cut again.  I continue to slice in the middle of 
    each section until complete.
~ Place cut rolls in lightly greased pan (pans with sides will produce softer rolls, but for 
    crisper edges, you can use a baking sheet), leaving a little room for dough to rise and 
    swell.
~ Place in warm spot to rise, covered loosely in lightly greased plastic wrap.  
~ Bake in 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, or until tops are golden and dough is cooked 
   through.  If needed, tent pan with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning while dough 
   finishes cooking. 
~ Melt remaining butter in medium bowl.  Add in confectioners sugar and whisk until 
    smooth.
~ Stir in vanilla.  Add in milk, stirring or whisking, until desired consistency is reached.
~ Pour icing over rolls.

Tips and Tricks:  
  • If you don't want to cook your rolls immediately, you can loosely cover the pan/s with greased plastic wrap and place in the fridge after placing cut rolls in pan/s.  When ready to cook, take the rolls out and let them come to room temperature, allowing to rise as normal.

  

    






4 comments:

  1. These look amazing! Totally making some tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They turned out delicious! My boys are loving the white bread more. Making about 4-6 loaves a week.

      Delete
    2. So many compliments on the cinnamon rolls. Best i,ve ever made.

      Delete

Leave a comment!