Saturday, October 6, 2012

frosted pumpkin cookies



A big shout-out to my friend, Heidi, for this great photo. The cookies were a part of a baby shower spread,
"My Little Pumpkin."
I have dogeared, torn out, or bookmarked about seven or eight pumpkin recipes already this season.  I'm immediately drawn to them this time of year, and yet I know not everyone is interested, necessarily, in all things pumpkin.

I remember Mom asking me a couple of years ago for my favorite childhood memory.  I have a million, really, but for some reason, carving pumpkins with Dad sticks out on top.  In fact, back home, there's a great picture of him removing the insides of one with me proudly standing by his side.  In the picture, he is years younger than I am now (which, by the way, blows my mind) and so handsome.  Halloween was a fun, FUN time growing up, thanks to him.  I'm not sure who enjoyed getting dressed up and trick-or-treating more!

Although I could go on and on about the many more reasons why I constantly look forward to this time of year, I'll get to what you are probably really here to read...

The recipe.

I REALLY love this one.  It's always a success and earns "yums" from everyone.  The cookies are very cake-like, tender, sweetened just right, and very pretty with their pinch of cinnamon slightly dusting the cream cheese frosting.  This particular recipe is already doubled, so it makes a ton!


Please heed the warning of over-beating.  Taking it easy with the mixer will definitely keep the cookie tender.

I'm sure I won't go long without another pumpkin recipe or two, but I'll try to squeeze in some variety beforehand.  Wishing you and yours a flavorful, fun, and fabulous fall.

Frosted Pumpkin Cookies - makes about 5 dozen  
Ingredients:

For the cookie
  • 1  1/2 cups shortening
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs 
  • 6 cups flour
  • 3 tsp. cinnamon (plus more for dusting)
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 3 tsp. baking soda
  • 1  1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 29 oz. can pure pumpkin
  • 1 tsp. allspice
~ Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
~ Mix sugar and shortening, adding eggs and beating until creamy.
~ Add cinnamon, salt, and allspice.
~ In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda.  
~ To the wet mixture, add the pumpkin and flour mixture, alternating wet and dry.  *DO 
    NOT OVERBEAT.
~ Drop batter by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet (I prefer parchment-lined).  
~ Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until cooked through but not dried out.  
~ Once cooled, frost cookies and dust with cinnamon.

For the frosting
      1    stick butter, salted, softened to room temperature
         1    package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
         1    2-lb bag confectioners sugar
         1    tbsp. vanilla

~ Mix all ingredients together until blended and creamy.  If frosting is too dry or stiff, add 
    milk or cream, a teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.  If frosting is 
    too wet, add confectioners sugar until desired consistency is reached.


Recipe slightly adapted from Nicole Wills.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!