Monday, September 24, 2012

jen's italian gnocchi and chicken supper




I am a huge fan of all things Italian, though I would be hard-pressed to come up with my favorite dish.  I enjoy a simple pasta with fresh tomatoes and basil, and I love more involved recipes as well.  Flipping through a cookbook or magazine, I'm always drawn to the pasta... always.

A few years ago, I stumbled upon Gnocchi, a potato-based dumpling, and immediately was drawn to its versatility.  One night, I had several ingredients on hand and decided to throw them all together to see how it would fare.  I ended up liking it enough to include in a friend's recipe book, put together by her family as a wedding gift, and we have made it several times since.

My next endeavor is to try my hand at homemade Gnocchi.  From what I have learned, it's not hard, just a little time consuming... but, then again, isn't everything that's worth having?

It's only Monday, so add this recipe to the week's menu line-up  - a healthy meat and veggie, one-skillet dinner... easy-peasy and oh-so-good!


Jen's Italian Gnocchi and Chicken Supper - 
makes 6 servings  
Ingredients:
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
  • 1 jar (7 oz.) roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
  • 7-8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, coarsely chopped
  • 2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces
  • 4-5 tbsp. pesto
  • 1 pkg. potato gnocchi
  • fresh parmesan cheese
  • kosher salt and pepper to taste
~ Follow package directions for gnocchi.
~ Salt chicken pieces and set aside.
~ While pasta cooks, in large saute' pan, heat oil over medium heat. 
~ Add garlic, and cook about 30 seconds until golden.  
~ Add onion and zucchini, cooking until onion is translucent and zucchini is softened.
~ Add peppers, tomatoes, and chicken, stirring frequently until chicken is no longer pink.  
~ Add pesto (more, if preferred) to pan and stir to coat.
~ Drain pasta, saving 1/2 cup of pasta water.
~ Add pasta to pan, and thoroughly combine allowing pasta to heat through.  Add a bit of 
    pasta water, if needed, to help coat.
~ Serve with freshly shaved parmesan cheese.

Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!