Tuesday, August 7, 2012

simple guacamole




"Hold the guacamole."

That's what I heard for years, growing up, listening to the adults around me as they'd order Mexican food.  I assumed that's what I was supposed to do as well and never realized what I was missing until just a few years ago.

I have made a few different versions of guacamole and have tried even more, but I really prefer only a handful of ingredients and making it "to taste."  Really.  I sort of measure this out, I guess, but it's totally up to you how you prefer to eat it.  This is just a kind of blueprint, if you will.



There are few things I like better than lime and salt together, and avocado is terribly nutritious.  It makes for a super healthy snack that even my boys love.  In fact, before I knew a lot about the avocado, I was extremely excited to see my picky Luke gobbling it up.  It was the only green thing he'd try.  Then I learned the avocado is not a vegetable...


Very disappointed.

If you decide to make this, make sure to save one pit to keep in the mixture.  It will keep it a nice green color rather than turning brown.  Here's to taking these five ingredients and mixing them until your tastebuds sing... Ole'!

Simple Guacamolemakes 2 cups
Ingredients:

  • 4 soft avocados
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 lime, juiced   
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise     
  • 1 tsp. coarse salt (Kosher or Sea Salt will work)
~ Run knife around middle of avocados, longways, and twist halves until separated.  
~ Pop out pits, setting aside one.  
~ Scoop out flesh with spoon and combine with garlic, lime juice, and mayonnaise in 
    medium bowl. 
~ Mix by hand or use mixer until desired consistency is reached.
~ Add salt to taste and adjust other ingredients as needed.
~ Place in serving dish, and place pit in center.  Serve with chips.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!