Thursday, August 9, 2012

amish sandwich bread




Six simple ingredients... one great recipe!  It's hard to believe so little can produce such wonderful results!

For years I was afraid of attempting homemade bread.  I don't know why.  I had it in my head that it was the hardest, most difficult thing to accomplish in the kitchen.  I expected failure, which is kind of unlike me.


About two years ago, I decided I was up for the challenge.  I began my quest for great recipes and have found some that are nearly fool-proof.  This one is at the top of the list.  It is versatile, it is simple, and it is oh-my-goodness good!  The recipe makes two loaves, so I usually take a couple of hours first thing on a Saturday and have a good week to two weeks worth by late morning.  It is rare that I buy store-bought now.  I promise, once you make it for the third or fourth time, it becomes second nature.


The great thing I love about this recipe is it's interchangeable.  Although I love all white bread, our family has always eaten 100% whole wheat to try to be a bit more healthy.  This version can handle whatever you choose - half white/half wheat, all wheat, all white always works... whatever your family prefers.  And... I'll share later what I sometimes do with half the recipe - YUM!

There is something about making hand-kneaded bread to give away - a tasty bite of hard work, time, and comfort all rolled into one.  It can't make you feel anything but good, and my oh my, how glorious the house smells...  Go and bless someone (and yourself)!


Amish White Bread - makes 2 loaves
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups flour (any works well, but we do half bread flour, half wheat)  
~ In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water and stir in yeast.  Let it proof until it 
    resembles creamy foam, as seen in the following picture.  This takes about 5-7 minutes.

~ Mix salt and oil into yeast, and add flour one cup at a time.  Mix until fully incorporated.
    A dough hook works really well here, or you can mix by hand (and build terrific triceps
    while you're at it!). 
~ Once mixture is in a ball, knead on lightly floured counter for a few minutes until     
    smooth, like this:


You can allow most of the mixing to take place with the dough hook and only do a few kneads by hand.  It works just fine.  Or, you can do it all by hand.

~ Place smooth ball into well-greased, large bowl and cover with a damp dishtowel.  Put in

   a warm place.  I turn on my oven to 400 degrees and allow to heat one minute.  I turn it 
   off and open the door for a few seconds and then put the bowl inside.
~ When doubled in size (about one hour), remove from oven and punch dough down, 
    kneading a few more minutes.
~ Divide dough into two sections, shape into two loaves, and place in well-greased 9x5 inch 
    loaf pans.  Allow to rise to about one inch above rim of pan, about 30 minutes.
~ Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Recipe adapted from All Recipes


10 comments:

  1. I just am making this and find it is VERY wet! I have added at least another cup of flour just to try and make it kneadable. Are the numbers correct on this recipe?? Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are correct. If you've added seven cups of flour (the six called for plus the extra cup you mentioned), then too much of the wet ingredients could have been added. Even humidity couldn't account for that much discrepancy. Is it possible you miscounted how many cups of flour you actually added? I have done that before. At any rate, I know it's frustrating when it doesn't seem to work right. It's been a winner for myself and many others, so maybe give it another try?!? I'd love to hear about your next attempt. It's totally worth it!

      Delete
    2. I figured it out. My bad!

      Delete
    3. No problem! So glad it worked. BTW, I highly suggest using this dough (with the full 2/3 cup sugar, although 1/3 will work) and making the cinnamon rolls found on the site... both orange and traditional. They're FANTASTIC!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I will undoubtedly try the cinnamon and orange rolls- they sound amazing!
    Yes, I had added too much water. (somehow my brain wasn't adding well that day!! :/ ) But the bread was still very good.
    I'm trying it again today....hopefully using the correct measurements this time! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious to know if you've tried the rolls... especially the orange ones. They're my personal favorite! :)

      Delete
  3. Why did my bread fall? Yours is so nice and rounded on top, mine collapsed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way it tastes wonderful, just does not look very pretty.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it tastes good, but I'm so sorry it fell. If the water was too hot or not warm enough, it might have killed the yeast or not been warm enough to activate it. Did it bubble/foam after letting it proof? It might also be you let it rise too long the second time. That can definitely cause it to collapse during the bake time. Don't give up, though, my friend. Slather some wonderful butter or jam on it and call it a "win!" :) Try it again and let me know how it goes. It's certainly worth another go!

      Delete
  4. how long will the bread be good for after baking? Can it be frozen after first rise and shaping, to be thawed, second rise and baked later??

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!