Tuesday, August 14, 2012

grilled goat cheese sandwiches with strawberry jam and basil




Conservative eaters everywhere:  If there ever were a time to keep an open mind, this is the time!  I know what you're thinking... Goat cheese?  Strawberries?  Basil?  Together???  Give it a chance, I implore you.

I laughed the other night as I was looking at the posts I've done so far.  It dawned on me that I've yet to do a breakfast item, and that was the whole inspiration behind this blogging thing in the first place.  If you've read my "About" page, you know I'm dreaming of having a bed and breakfast someday.  I think I've covered just about everything but breakfast.

Actually, I guess this sandwich could work at any time of the day, but it just seems more "breakfasty" to me. The cheese and honey melted together is really, really good, and I love strawberries and basil.  I did use a cast iron skillet to press the sandwich as it was cooking.  I kind of wish I wouldn't have for the picture, because it came out pretty squatty.  If using a griddle or grill pan, as with traditional grilled cheese, I'll cover it with a cake pan to trap the heat and melt the cheese more quickly so the the bread doesn't overcook before the cheese is completely heated.

I am eager to try different combinations as time goes on.  I hope you'll give this one a try.  And if you have ideas for new combos, please share!  



Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Strawberry Preserves and Basilmakes two sandwiches
Ingredients:

  • 1 log (4 oz.) plain goat cheese
  • 3 tsp. honey
  • 2  tbsp. strawberry preserves
  • 2  tsp. sliced basil leaves
  • 4  slices cinnamon swirl bread
~ Mix together goat cheese and honey.  A hand blender or regular blender makes this easy!
~ Spread goat cheese/honey mixture over each slice of bread.  
~ Top mixture with preserves and basil.
~ Place remaining bread slices on top of sandwiches and cook over medium heat until 
    cheese is melted.

Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!