Tuesday, July 24, 2012

on the side - simple asparagus




I don't know about you, but I can sit down to write my menu for the week and have a brainstorm of 15 main dishes in a second.  So many times, I have the week's plan laid out on paper and realize I have nothing else on the plate but a great piece of meat.  I have tried to focus more, lately, on coming up with good side options.

Asparagus is a vegetable I have grown to love.  It hasn't been until the last few years that I have truly appreciated the flavors and all the possibilities it has to offer.  I have prepared it various ways and look forward to sharing more down the road, but to highlight the freshness of this spring veggie, I'm sharing an extremely easy and simple way to eat this perfect side to any dish.  It can be served warm or not (I prefer it slightly chilled).

Ultra-healthy and delicious, it's a win-win!

Simple Asparagus - makes 4 servings
Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 tsp. kosher salt
  • splash of red wine vinegar

~  Bring a pot of water to boiling.
~  While water is heating, wash asparagus and break off woody ends.  To find the natural 
     break, hold stem with both hands, bending away from you and pressing with your thumb 
     (usually a couple of inches from end).  It will snap easily.
~  Place asparagus in boiling water and watch carefully.  Within about 3-4 minutes it will 
     turn a bright green.  Remove immediately and drain, rinsing under cool water to stop
     cooking process.
~  In bowl, mix oil and salt.  Place drained asparagus in bowl and mix gently.
~  Plate asparagus and season with red wine vinegar and a light sprinkling of salt.


Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!